i have been a coffee girl all my life! i am coffee-devout! coffee-addict! coffee0holic! you name it. i am it. i am kind that drinks their day’s water worth in coffee and strongly believe that the solution to all of world’s problems lies at the bottom of a rich, deep, dark cup of coffee.
there is one tiny hitch though. when i say i am from madras (aka chennai of southern india), people expect my blood group to be “kumbakonam filter kaapi”. sadly no. i am allergic to chicory (cue gasp!!!)
chicory strangely gives me a nagging headache if i injest more than 1 cup. anything less than 5 cups of coffee a day is laughable!
so i converted to the religion of nescafe. just pure coffee, instant and easy! i have been drinking nescafe in all forms and by the gallons for years now.
come 2017 i wanted to stir things up a bit. now that i have flexible work hours, i wanted to truly enjoy the process of brewing coffee and savor each sip.
that’s how i came to discover the whole new world of Specialty Coffee.
here are the coffee resolutions (written in 2017, updated in 2023)
* get a brass filter – madras style (got one from paati)
* get a frenchpress (got two, which i absolutely can not live without)
* get an aeropress (waited almost 2 years to get one and finally got an AP Go which i love so so dearly)
*get a pour over(the first ever “tool” i got was a plastic v60. also have a plastic kalita. podhum)
* get coffee from a new roastery every month (i wish 2017 me understood how much coffee i would be buying! ? ?)
* understand the science of brewing & flavor wheel (i wish 2017 me understood the depth of this sentence and how it would be a continual process instead of just a one-shot thing)
* read coffee books (got my kindle packed with some good stuff. reading to begin soon!) (ummm, well… i still have the books. the reading though)
* review coffee on the blog (this is one aspect of this post that iam glad i shifted focus from very early on in my journey with specialty coffee. i have always disliked the “review aspect” even with movies. what it is, is your opinion what you like and dont. so my blog is a collection of all the lovely coffees that i have tasted and the memories associated with those cups. nothing more.